torsdag 13 augusti 2009

FIKA FIKA FIKA

There's a word of great importance to the Swedish people that simply does not translate.
The Swedish culture evolves around it. It defines us as Swedes.


F I K A

I love it. I love to fika with a good friend. Or a new one. It's one of the best ways to get to know someone. To share their life, listen to their thoughts and stories. Maybe I just love listening, and okay talking. What else can you do when you’re having a FIKA?
My favorite way to speak encouraging words, to try and give good advice, to read the bible with someone, to share your heart and to preach the gospel is sitting down at a café... Looking the person across the table in the eyes... Sipping coffee, munching cookies... The hours fly by.

Today me and M met up at Waynes Coffe Place at Konserthuset. I love her. I love making crazy travel plans with her and hearing stories about the people at her workplace. Today I made her promise that she would move in with me if I somehow would get a 5 bedroom apartment in the City. Yeeeiii... And yes, it is going to happen. All things are possible!

Yesterday me, Ellie and Ida went to McDonalds for fika after painting and doing stuff at the Church. My great, beautiful friends... I love and enjoy having you in my life so much! You are heroes for Jesus, humble, beautiful, pioneers, prayer warriors with a HUGE heart for the lost.
Let's FIKA every week!!

The day before that... all day was about FIKA! Haha... I went to like four different places and met up with different people.

And tomorrow.. guess what!? I'm meeting a friend at the airport for FIKA!

And lastly, please don't get worried... I do work. A lot.




Wikipedia:
"Fika" is a Swedish verb that roughly means "to take a coffee break".
Fika is a social institution in Sweden
: it means taking a break from work or other activities and having a coffee with one's colleagues, friends, or family. This practice of taking a break for a coffee and a light snack (some biscuits, cookies or a sandwich) between more substantial meals like lunch and dinner is central to Swedish life, Swedes being among the heaviest consumers of coffee in the world










2 kommentarer:

Gabrielle Redmond sa...

Fika is the first Swedish work I learned.. and I agree, it's definitely the most important :) It's even begun a revolution here in USA..

Annelie Persson sa...

Längtar till min nästa fika med dig, The queen of FIKA!